The Paperwork

The Paperwork - Church Weddings

The Paperwork
There are many brilliant and fun elements to planning a wedding, but there is also some very important paperwork that cannot be overlooked. Do not underestimate the job, planning a wedding can be tough work!
The earlier you start planning the more time you can have to correct any mistakes or slip ups without any extra time pressure. Most wedding paperwork should be started the latest around 4 to 6 months before the big day.


The Civil Registration Act, 2004 requires that all couples must give three months notice of their intention to marry to a registrar in person. In order to do this couples must contact the registrar’s office beforehand to make an appointment.

All couples will be asked to produce:

  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • PPS Numbers
  • Fee of €200
  • If either party is divorced, widowed, has had a civil partnership dissolution, an annulment or anything similar, you will have to provide extra paperwork in your appointment with the registrar.

All couples should check directly with the registrar, before their appointment, to ensure that they have all the required documentation. They will then provide you with the Marriage Registration Form that you will need to give to the priest on or before your wedding day. You will need to send off the signed form after the wedding.  Find out more on the Department of Social Protection website.

The Church

Contact your local parish priest where each of you presently live to let him know of  your intention to marry and make an appointment to meet him. Similar to the paperwork, it is recommended to give a minimum of 3 months notice. You must also complete a Marriage Preparation Course and provide a certificate to the priest in advance of the wedding.

There are at least three forms that you need to get before going to meet your priest.
1. A recently issued copy of your Baptismal Certificate
2. A recently issued copy of your Confirmation Certificate
3. A Letter of Freedom from each parish you have lived in since you were 18.

These forms indicate that you are a full member of the Church, and that there is no record of you having been married previously in Church. Once you meet the priest and everything is in order, you can book the Church in which you hope to get married. Check out the Accord website to find out more.

Hope this helps!

Susan O'Neill

Susan O'Neill is a Public Relations graduate from Kerry who is our Social Media Executive here at WeddingDates HQ. She loves reading, listening to old music and spends way too much time on Pinterest!

WeddingDates Contributors
Rock n’ Roll Romance: Lyndsey + Cian at Radisson Blu Limerick

Just when we thought another wedding day couldn't leave us in awe.