First dances are one of the most memorable parts of the wedding celebration. However, picking out a song for the first dance can be difficult for couples. Do you choose something classic, a slow dance, something upbeat, a serious ballad, a goofy song that reminds you of your first date? It really doesn’t matter, as long as you choose a song that is meaningful to you and makes you happy; the first dance will go swimmingly. If you’re having trouble coming up with a song, here are some suggestions to get the ball rolling.
Classic First Dance Songs:
Timeless. Popular. These oft-chosen first dance songs tend to feature smooth, slow dance worthy heartfelt lyrics generations have associated with marriage and love.
- At Last – Etta James
- I Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
- Our Love is Here to Stay – Billie Holiday
- Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers
Songs from Movies:
Have a favorite movie couple that you idolize? Perhaps their theme song will inspire the same kind of passion and romance for you and your beloved.
- A Time for Us from Romeo and Juliet – Johnny Mathis
- Come What May from Moulin Rouge – Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman
- It Had to Be You from When Harry Met Sally – Harry Connick, Jr
- Everything I Do (I Do It for You) from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves – Bryan Adams
Often couples want something a little faster paced or more “contemporary” to mark the start of their life together. Here are a few less traditional, but fun choices.
- Buddy Holly – Weezer (great for a 50s/60s theme wedding)
- Kiss Me – Sixpence None The Richer (a sweet, unassuming ballad)
- Something About Us – Daft Punk (bringing a techno dance edge to the dance floor)