Last Sunday I was invited down to Adare Manor to their wedding fair to check out the property and see what the renowed 5 star property has to offer potential brides.
Let me tell you…ALOT! It was incredible to see a black carriage being pulled by 2 large black horses with the white feather plumes coming out of the top of their heads! The Manor itself is really spectacular, and the banqueting hall in particular would be amazing for a wedding ceremony. For parties up to 90 people they can set the room up with a long extended banquet table – spectacular!
They had invited Wedding Planner to the Stars Tatiana Byron to speak to the brides and grooms to be, about Wedding Trends for 2010. Diligent as I am, I scribbled notes for you guys so here we go!
A key piece of advice from Tatiana – Approach any decision for your wedding day with one thought in your mind: “How is this going to affect my wedding guests?” If you always consider your guests then you can’t go too far wrong with your decisions.
Top 10 Trends for 2010
#1 Personalization is key
- Custom designed monograms for the couple. This can be used throughout throughout the wedding day from lights on the dance floor, the aisle runner, invitations, cake toppers, menus….the list goes on!
- Custom Wedding Songs. You tell the story and a musician creates a song, you can use for your first dance, for your wedding “music video” etc.
- Get a characaturist to do a picture of you the couple which can be used on invitations, to display at the wedding etc. Black Eye Peas singer Fergie did this for her wedding!
#2 Wedding Colours
- Trend at the moment is anything but traditional, Vibrant colours such as oranges, yellows, hot pinks, greens etc.
- Use colours as a common thread in your wedding – flowers, linens, invitations, table cloths etc.
#3 Themed Weddings
- French Opulence is popular for 2010. Think Chateau Versailles.
- Word of caution. If you are going for a themed wedding, you have to embrace the theme throughout to be true to it and to create the atmosphere you are looking for. This will inevitably drive up the overall cost of your wedding.
#4 Eco Friendly Chic
“Green Factor” Suggestions:
- Food and Flowers – grown within 100 mile radius, organic farming
- Invitations – sustainable materials eg bamboo, plantable seeds, recycled paper etc. Katherine Heigl had an Eco Friendly Wedding.
- Favours – homemade organic cookies, organic caramel apples, potted tulips, bamboo coaster & plants…these are a symbol of good luck!
#5 Signature Cocktails
- Serve your favourite cocktail & name it aafter the happy couple á la “Brangelina”
- Cocktail menus can feature your monogram
- Cocktails can be matched to your colour scheme, eg coloured liquers, sugar crystals on glass etc.
- Cupcake displays very trendy in last year or so
- Dessert Spreads and Candy “Bars”
- Gourmet chocolates
- Colourful and towerinig desserts
- Lollipop gardens
- mini cupcake towers v popular
- Use your monogram on your cake
- Personalised M&Ms with your initials (only costs about €150)
- Non Traditional Performances
- Electric Concert Violinists
- Cirque style performers
- Stilt walkers escorting guests
- Trend at the moment for “music videos” in weddings which is basically a 1.5 minute video/photo montage of the couple which can be put to music and shown at the wedding
#8 Bridal Fashion
- Bridal Fashion follows runways of Paris and Milan
- Brides showing more skin
- Mini dresses
- Multiple gowns for the evening
- Convertable dresses
- Old Hollywood Glamour, think Grace Kelly
- Romantic/Princess like gowns
- Sheer fabrics & lace
- Mismatched Bridal gowns
- one gown, multiple looks
- Alyssa Milano’s bridesmaids all looked different
- Shop: Sydney, New York OR London; 2Birds Bridesmaid make 1bridesmaids dress for weddings which can be worn in 15 different styles! Something to suit all shapes and sizes and is sure to please your bridesmaids.
#9 Beauty & Accessories
- Hair down with simple headpiece á la Fergie
- Birdcage Veils v popular
- Statement Jewellry – beaded necklaces
- Natural Make up
- Loose cascading curls
- Antique brooches used in hair
#10 New Things!
- Wedding Websites so couples can share their planning process and journey with their family and friends eg. mywedding.com, projectwedding.com
- Can share updates on hotels, recreation activities, restaurants etc.
- Involve your guests in your wedding planning process
- If you are having a “destination wedding” then a wedding website is almost obligatory to keep people informed of the plan for the few days you are expecting them to travel for.
- Blogging about your experience is also a growing trend amongst brides-to-be.
- Build a Bridal Community
- Honour your heritage.
- If you have traditions in your family, your wedding is a lovely time to integrate them into your new family!
- Think about food inspired by your heritage, music etc etc.
- Celebrities are a great source of inspiration.
- Ultimately your wedding is about YOU!
- Follow trends but always add the personal touch.